I first met burlesque dancer Franki Markstone at the 2010 Pin Up Burlesque Fest. I had the privilege of watching her perform. Her work is a credit to the female sex. I had a chance to sit down with Franki over breakfast, and she dished the goods!
1) How long have you been a burlesque dancer, and what made you want to be a burlesque dancer?
I've been in burlesque since 2003 officially. I was already touring in strip clubs doing feature shows, and Vita Devoid asked me if I wanted to join her in creating a burlesque show. I was like, "Yeah! What's burlesque?" Hahaha.
2) What is your favorite burlesque act?
I'd have to say my favorite act is Imogen Kelly's Orb Dress Dance. It's so elegant, and haunting, and moving. It made me cry the first time I saw it.
3) What idols that you look up to for inspiration?
Imogen Kelly, Ezi Rider, Sydni Deveraux
4) What tips do you have to give to aspiring burlesque dancers?
Do your research. This isn't a fluff industry and nothing will be handed to you. If you really want to be a part of this industry it's best not to get sidetracked by the glamour. It's definitely work. Learn all you can, attend demos and workshops, create and polish an act to audition with. And most importantly, NEVER take yourself too seriously.
5) What is one little known fact about you?
I'm scared of the dark. Like, crazy scared. I have night lights all over my house.
6) How does one book tickets to see you? or Where you can be found on social media?
Just search Franki Markstone on Facebook , @frankimarkstone on Twitter, and TheFrankimarkstone on Instagram